Tuesday, 19 July 2016

The BFG Scrapbook Layout

Hi everyone.

Well that was a long and unexpected absence from blog land. I can't believe it's been over two months since my last post but here I am at last, having managed to survive various things I could really have done without.

I can't remember the last time I had to take so much time off work and I'm having to ease myself back in gently, particularly as my office and craft room have been like cauldrons today with the soaring temperatures. Thank goodness for night working, although the moths attacking my computer screen are an occupational hazard.

One of the design projects that came to mind while I was having my enforced break was something to acknowledge that 2016 is the centenary of the birth of the much loved children's author, Roald Dahl. I must confess to not being quite as massive a Dahl fan as perhaps I should be but I know that his amazing body of work (I've just typed "wotk" by mistake which looks and sounds a bit like a "Dahl" word) and his contribution to children's literature are truly immense.

It also just happens to be the week that the film The BFG (The Big Friendly Giant for the uninitiated) based on one of Dahl's most popular characters, opens at cinemas in time for the school holidays. As I have a mini digikit with some BFG artwork in it, I decided to do a nice, simple scrapbook page to mark the occasion and tie in the centenary too.

I downloaded and then digitally "cut out" the photo of the little girl apparently looking up at the giant from Photo Rack (an excellent source of free stock photos) but everything else apart from my text, comes from the kit. I kept the design fairly simple to fit in with the illustrative style of the books and also because I'm trying to take it easy! The jagged edge on the pink digital material was achieved by using the Roughen Tool in Craft Artist Professional 2 and I also used the Transparency Tool on the image of the giant holding Sophie on the palm of his hand.


Copyright Melissa Lawrence 2016

This is actually the first scrapbook layout I've done since the end of February so hopefully I'm back on the horse again!

If you are going to see the film either with or without kids in tow, I hope you (and they) enjoy it and I'll try to be back before another two months have passed by.






No comments:

Post a Comment